Friday, January 8, 2016

Piute Log...Lucky Duck 1994

10 Sep (Sat)     Still windy! Very! Walked to Upper Long Lake and started cleaning waterbreaks—just the ones needing real attention. Rocked the trail the whole way…the never-ending job. At the southeast end of the lake I had a fine duck-encounter. ◦◦◦◦◦ I’d seen the hen swimming around the shore and when I came around her way she went flapping off, quacking: the old “lame duck” routine. But no young ‘uns around so I knew they were somewhere on shore. So I cruised along the fishermen’s trail hoping to scare ‘em up. Sure enough, all of a sudden there was a burst of brown ahead of me and I looked up to see an absolutely hilarious sight: five half-grown mallards waddling away at full tilt. The waddle is a form of locomotion that is not very smooth (nor graceful) and is probably best executed at a more stately pace. But these ducklings were movin’! And with much “lateral motion” and distress. You’d never guess a young duck could waddle at 15 miles an hour through thick, tall grass. ◦◦◦◦◦  They all vanished and I went in-search-of. A thick clump of willows seemed a first-rate hiding spot so I peered in and, lo, there was one mottled duckling wedged under the lowest branches. Attempted to dislodge it so’s I could get a closer look. People always seem amazed when I pick up a feather and tell them what bird, what sex, and what part of bird it came from. Well: this is how you learn your feathers. (This, and road kills….) But, the thing crawled in farther where I couldn’t reach so I let it be. Mother duck going nuts out on the lake. Not that I’d expect her to be taking it calmly but they don’t ever make it through a season without losing at least half their broods. (That’s why ducks lay a dozen or more eggs in one clutch.) I don’t feel too guilty about stressing baby animals in this fashion; if they meet me, they’re fortunate. That was one lucky duck, nyuk nyuk.




     © 2015  Tim Forsell                                                                                                                           20 Dec 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment