Monday, December 8, 2014

Piute Log....Dirt in My Ears 1996

1 Jul (Mon)      The horses walked into the yard yesterday eve for the first time this season so I locked them up to speed today’s departure. Got on the trail at 10:30 and met an interesting pair just over a mile from the cabin. They were well off the trail, dressed in drab colors, so it was lucky I even saw them. Had a delightful talk; they were happy and at ease, enjoying the day. Frank, mid 40s, was a geologist living in Ruth, of all places. [An obscure not-even-a-town in central Nevada, outside the notorious “Area 51” (famous among UFO enthusiasts)] His partner spoke with a strange accent; Australian, but with hard “r”s. I figured he’d been living in the states for many years but, when I asked, turns out to be the other way ‘round. He’s a So-Cal boy (like me…). Old surfer, raised in Huntington Beach. He and Frank had gone to highschool there together. Now this fella lives in Australia and imports sunglasses for the tourist trade; has a wife and kids there. I commented on how we never would’ve imagined how things would work out: here’s three urban-spawned southern Californians…one becomes a geologist in a lonely part of Nevada, one sells cheap sunglasses on the other side of the planet (that’s something they don’t teach in college!) and one is a ranger hiding out in the mountains. Ah, how the wheel doth turn! Where it stops, nobody knows….  
….And one other thing: I want to start recording those less-than-romantic aspects of my profession, the things that would discourage just any old Thomas, Richard, or Harold from wanting to steal my job. This has been a neglected element in this log. ◦◦◦◦◦ FOR INSTANCE: After getting back to the cabin on the 29th, I’d just walked over 12 miles and done a bunch of trailwork. My back & arms & shoulders were knotted up from shoveling dirt and hurling rock off the trail. I was soaked with sweat. My skin was coated with this ungodly sleaze that was a combination of sunscreen, bug juice, sweat, dust, dead skin cells, and crushed mosquito residue. The mirror revealed that I had mosquito remains on my face and shoulders and even shmeered on my hat. I’d imagine some folks would not have enjoyed my complex aroma just then. Feet hurt and my crotch was chafed from too much sweat and friction, with pieces of bark and pine needles lodged in my skivvies and ass crack. Dirt in my ears and under my nails and between my toes. This “stickiness” finally comes to my attention once I’ve come into the cabin and gotten (mostly) out of the bugs and out of my filthy clothes. It’s fairly disgusting and a good reason to go dunk my soiled self in the river. So that’s what I did.


©2014 Tim Forsell                                                                                                                                                                                                 8 Dec 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment